10 Foods To Keep Away From Your Pet

happy puppy

​​​​​​​As you probably already know, pets are not keen on eating some of the same foods as humans are. Even if they seem to lap up some of the items on the list without skipping a beat, rest assured they are not going to fare well over time if they continue eating potentially toxic food items. To make sure you know what you’re looking for, let’s take a look 10 foods to keep away from your pet at all costs. It can mean the difference between illness and wellbeing.

Just as it is with all pet health concerns, if you suspect your pet has ingested any of the following, contact your vet immediately. These are all incredibly toxic substances for pets and can permanently damage your pet’s health if left unattended.


Every pet owner has heard about the hazardous impact that chocolate can have on a pet’s health. This is due to a chemical compound in the same family as caffeine, called theobromine. The darker the chocolate, the more problematic. A single ounce of baker’s chocolate can pose a serious health risk to a small dog, whereas a similar quantity of milk chocolate may only cause mild discomfort, diarrhea, or vomiting.


Salt is not something that your pet does well with. At best it can cause severe dehydration, at worst ion poisoning and even death. If you like snacking on salty foods, make sure to keep them well away from curious compadres. You are doing them no favors by caving in to their begging eyes.


If alcohol can render a 250-pound man into a slobbering, hung-over, incohesive mess, imagine what this could do to your pet. Yes, alcohol is especially toxic to pets and can have serious systemic health effects if consumed, including coma and death. The smaller the dog, the more you need to be careful.

Onions and Garlic

One of the reasons it’s rarely safe to feed a dog food scraps is the commonality of onions and garlic in our ingredients. Although these staples are in so many of our human dishes, they are totally toxic to pets. The compounds in these foods destroy the red blood cells in dogs causing anemia, among other issues.


Xylitol is a common sugar substitute found in a wide variety of sugary treats, toothpaste, and processed foods. When consumed by a pet it can instantly spike blood insulin levels that can lead to potentially life-threatening liver failure.

Grapes and Raisins

For reasons still largely unknown by the scientific community, raisins and grapes pose a serious health risk to dogs. They are a leading cause of kidney failure and can create problems in even small amounts. Grape toxicity can be noticed within 24-hours through unusual amounts of vomiting.

Raw Salmon

Raw salmon can contain a particularly aggressive parasite that can harm your pet’s health. Once it’s taken hold, this pesky parasite can claim the life of your pooch in less than two weeks if left untreated.

Chicken Bones

Chicken bones are hazardous to pets due to the fragile nature of their fragmenting structure. Rather than harming your pet with chemicals or parasites, chicken bones cause physical tears, punctures, and intestinal distress. Avoiding splintery chicken bones altogether is the best bet.


People all over the world can be found gorging on guacamole with little more than a stomach ache if too much is consumed. For your pet, on the other hand, every aspect of the avocado is toxic – from roots to fruits. Although large amounts are required to cause serious issues, avoidance is best.

Persimmons, Peaches, and Plums

Don’t let the characteristic sweetness of a juicy peach fool you. Pets can experience cyanide poisoning when consuming too many of these cyanide-laced fruiting tricksters. The pits are especially toxic so avoid allowing them access at all costs.

Final Thoughts

When you take note of these 10 foods to keep away from your pet, you are helping them to avoid accidents. If you suspect that your pet has consumed a toxic substance, please contact our Las Vegas, NV office and reach out to us immediately. The sooner you address the issue, the better you are able to avoid a potentially serious health situation for your pet.